TODAY IN THE KITCHEN:

I've tried to teach myself to look at baked goods and things made with white flour and/or sugar and picture a skull and cross bones. It works about 85% of the time. The other 30% of the time, let's face it, us girls need chocolate!  I actually know a few people who say they don't like chocolate, and if you would tell me that about yourself I would look at you like you are from another planet. 

I'm so happy that in the last few years there have been more and more healthy alternatives to satisfy the occasional, (I've had a bad day, I need something to go with this champagne, life is to short not to eat that pretty cupcake), sweet tooth.

Here is one of my favorites, Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies, and they are so, so good!
This recipe is from Marks Daily Apple. This picture is a batch I made so you can see they don't come out very pretty, I never get them truly round, but they're delicious!!!!  They are flour-less, gluten free, healthy, packed with protein and ez to make. The only sugar is in the chips. I use dark chocolate chips. Give them a try.

Ingredients:
4 dates, pits removed
1 1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup pecans
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbs coconut oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4-1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I like 73% cacao)

Instructions:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
-Grind dates in the food processor until a paste forms, about 40 seconds. Add walnuts and pecans and blend until very finely chopped, about 35 seconds. Add baking soda and salt and pulse a few more times
-Warm the coconut oil so it is in liquid form. With the food processor running, drizzle it into the batter with the egg and vanilla. Stop mixing as soon as the egg and oil are blended in.
-Scrape the batter into a bowl and stir in coconut and chocolate chips by hand. The dough will be sticky and wet.
-Drop 12 portions of the dough onto a cookie sheet, then flatten slightly with your fingers.
-Bake 10-15 minutes, or until nicely browned

Servings: 1 dozen cookies
 

*I always get about 18 out of this recipe and usually make a double batch otherwise they're gone in one day at my house, or sometimes minutes!

Check out my Pinterest Fabulous Food board for more healthy recipes. Enjoy!


Blog stuff:  All photos by me unless otherwise credited.  If you would like to re-post a photo, please feel free to do so with the condition that you link it back to this blog. Thanks.